Saturday, February 15, 2014

[Hayao Miyazaki]

I adore that man.

My childhood consists of many cartoons, but the ones who impacted me the most was definitely hands down Hayao's work! Spirited Away was the first movie I ever saw created by Studio Ghibli. It was, and always will be, one of my favorites. I just loved how realistic the details were even how bazaar the story-line would be. Example : The parents of Chihiro begin munching out on the food for the spirits and it turns them into pigs. Ultimatelly, she trying to get her parents back is the real goal of the movie but all the friends she makes through the way make you really just fall in love with the movie!
My next movie I saw was Kiki's Delivery Service! SUCH an adorable flick! Then following were Princess Mononoke && Laputa : Castle in the Sky!! I personally found Princess Mononoke easier to watch versus Laputa, i was more interested in the wolves and saving the spirit of the forest versus the Castle in the Sky and all the destruction. I did love both though!
Hmm...Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind stole my heart, and shortly after I began to love Howl's Moving Castle. Nausicaa is a long 2 hour film that holds my full undivided attention the whole time!! I cannot even begin to describe the detail of that movie, it really is just a must watch! And Howl's Moving Castle held such adorable comedy !!
The next two I cant exactly explain too much what they are about because it has been YEARS since I have watched them. Whisper of the Heart && The Cat Returns <3 I feel like all of Ghibli's work is absolutely adorable but these two really capture romance and comedy. Two more MUST SEE movies!
Pom Poko && Porko Rosso. That is all I can say haha. They were honestly on the bottom of the list for me but I did still enjoy those two a lot!
MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. Seriously. My. Favorite. I LOVE THIS MOVIE TO THE MOON AND BACK! I love how the problems in the family are modern and relateable with the mother sick at the hospital and moving to a new house and being able to explore nature. I love ALL the creatures that were featured in this movie! I really cannot even stress how much I love this movie. I am even working on getting a Totoro tattoo soon!
There are SO many other movies of his that really just blow reality out of the water. Most recently are Ponyo && The Secret World of Arrietty. The most recent one was From Up On Poppy Hill *adorable too!* as well as the newest coming out next month, The Wind Rises. He has said he is retiring, which breaks my heart to pieces! I really do admire that man!
There are so many other movies I did not mention! The Castle of Cagliostro, Only Yesterday, etc.. His son has made his way into Ghibli as well, recently producing Tale's from Earthsea and From Up On Poppy Hill.

Anyway.....I could go on and on about these movies I am truely in LOVE with Miyazaki's work and Studio Ghibli! Now please excuse me while I go watch My Neighbor Totoro while looking for my tattoo <3
I love you all


XOXO
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment